Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Jackie Chan Wanted Real Electrocution and It Almost Cost Him His Life

Jackie Chan wants every stunt in his films to be completely authentic. In several occasions, his commitment to authenticity lead him to hospitals due to fractures and broken bones, but it was an entirely different story for his 1985 film "Police Story".

Jackie was electrocuted as he was filming the iconic scene where he slides down a metal pole covered in lights in a shopping center. The accident caused 3rd degree burns to his face and hands, requiring him to rest for several weeks.

It was reported that the scene was supposed to originally only involve Jackie and the metal pole. After shooting the scene for several times, Jackie requested the crew to cover the metal pole in lights because he though that the "audience would love it". Despite the protest of his crew, the scene pushed through as Jackie wanted it, and the result was a near-death experience for him.

Well, we cannot forever be lucky as Jackie was. An electric shock is a serious matter, and it can cost one his health and even his life. As most of us are not world-renowned actors, we do not need to experience an authentic electric shock to convince an audience - do we? Thus, here are some sensible tips to keep us safe from electrocution:

Always be safety conscious 

Always prioritize safety when working on any project. Experts even advice to slow down. When one hurries through a project, there will be a greater chance for an accident to occur.

Shut the power off 

This is the first thing you should do before working on any electrical circuit is to shut the power off. As of writing, no one yet has been shocked by a circuit that is not energized.

After shutting off, test again

It is a good idea to check the circuit with a tester to make sure that it is off. Never ever assume that a circuit is off.

Aluminum ladders? Please, no

Never use an aluminum ladder for any electrical project. Insulated fiberglass ladders are available, so please use them.

More dangerous when wet

Avoid wet areas when working with any electrical project. If that is inevitable, make sure to wear rubber gloves and boots to decrease the chances of getting shocked. In addition, tools and appliances should be plugged into a GFCI outlet of GFCI extension cord. Lastly, don't forget to dry your hands before grabbing any cord to plug it in or unplug it.

Remember, working with electrical circuits can be extremely hazardous if you don’t take safety precautions. Electrocution can not only injure you but also, worse, kill you.


Robert Bagatsing
Altaaqa Global
Tel: +971 56 1749505

No comments:

Post a Comment